Robert H. Gertner
Deputy Dean for Faculty; Joel F. Gemunder Professor of Strategy and Finance, and John Edwardson Faculty Director of the Social Enterprise Initiative, The University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Robert H. Gertner has been on the Chicago Booth faculty since 1986. His research interests include strategic decision-making, corporate finance, organization structure, theory of the firm, and social enterprises. He has published papers in numerous scholarly journals including the Quarterly Journal of Economics, Review of Economic Studies, and the Yale Law Journal. He is co-author, with colleagues Douglas Baird and Randy Picker, of Game Theory and the Law. Gertner teaches courses in strategic decision-making, entrepreneurial strategy, and social entrepreneurship.
Gertner received a National Science Foundation Research Grant, an Olin Fellowship in Law and Economics and was a Faculty Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research. He has held visiting positions at CEPREMAP in Paris, Cornell Law School, The University of Chicago Law School, and the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University.
Gertner is a trustee of the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago, a national organization devoted to large-scale social research in public interest. He is also a board member of the Interfaith Youth Core, and a member of the Evaluation Advisory Council of the Chicago Public Education Fund.
Gertner received a bachelor’s degree summa cum laude in economics from Princeton University in 1981 and a PhD in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1986. He worked as a consultant for AT&T prior to attending MIT.
Day 1: Monday Evening (March 12, 2018)
- 5:30 pm · Registration and Welcome Reception
- 6:30 pm · Guests Seated for Dinner
- 7:20 pm · Remarks
- 8:00 pm · Q&A
- 8:15 pm · Closing Remarks
- 8:20pm · Cocktails and Conversation
Day 2: Tuesday (March 13, 2018)
- 7:30 am · Breakfast and CFO Networking
- 8:15 am · Opening Remarks
- 8:20 am · Session 1: A Discussion of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017
- 9:35 am · Break
- 9:50 am · Session 2: Text-Based Insights into Stock Market Behavior
- 11:05 am · Group Photo
- 11:20 am · Lunch and Session 3
- 12:20 pm · Remarks
- 1:20 pm · Break
- 1:35 pm · Session 4: The Evolving World of Amazon
- 2:50 pm · Break
- 3:05 pm · Session 5: Technology Management - How the CEO, CFO, and Boards Collaborate on Technology Decisions
- 4:20 pm · Closing Remarks